According to the National Park Service, lifeguards will return to Cape Hatteras National Seashore’s four lifeguarded beaches this Saturday, May 27. From Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, lifeguards are on duty from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Coquina Beach Access, Old Lighthouse Beach Access, Frisco Beach Access and Ocracoke Beach Access.
Cape Hatteras National Seashore provides the following tips to help visitors stay safe this year:
- Swim at lifeguard beaches between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Text OBXBeachConditions to 77295 to sign up for beach-related weather and ocean condition alerts. Visitors can also view the daily rip current forecast at www.weather.gov/beach/mhx.
- Avoid digging deep holes in the beach due to the danger they present to beachgoers, emergency response staff and wildlife.
- Stay indoors during a thunder or lightning storm. If you can hear thunder, you are close enough to be struck by lightning.
- Learn more about beach and ocean safety at www.lovethebeachrespecttheocean.com.